Happy Friday! There are two things on my brain this weekend and next week. Running and moving. We move in 6 days. My half marathon is in 9 days.
Since I’m not a seasoned mover, I’ll save the moving tips for someone else to give. But I am a seasoned runner, and I feel very confident in doling out running advice. So, without further ado, here are 5 Key Running Tips to help make you a better runner.
5 Running Tips
1. Pace yourself. We hear this advice time and again: “Don’t go out too fast!” If you go out too fast, for any race or run, you risk running out of steam too early. If you run out of steam too early on a normal, every day run, you’re likely to feel down about a run because you won’t feel great at the end. If you go out too fast on race day, you could bonk too early and if it’s a distance race like a marathon, you run the risk of a DNF. If it’s a short race like a 5K, you’ll end up at Puke Pace, which is no good for anyone.
2. Fuel [and refuel] properly. Nourish yourself with things that are good for you. In order to create an efficient body that will carry you across any finish line, you need to take care of yourself. Food is your first defense against a host of issues. If you eat junk, you’ll feel like junk. If you eat well, you’ll feel well. (This includes eating on a day to day basis, not just on runs and during races.)
3. Stay hydrated. Drink water. It’s good for you! And if you don’t like water (I still don’t get how some of you don’t like water…), add a little flavoring! Try some mint and lime, or just a little squeeze of fresh lemon.
4. Set a goal. Remember yesterday’s spiel on goals and motivation? If you set an attainable goal, you will, by design, be more motivated. Keep your eyes on the prize!
5. Have fun! When running stops being fun, it’s time to change things up. Find a new route, take a race-cation, or just take a break and find something else to keep yourself fit and occupied! Unless you’re an elite and getting paid to run, it’s not a do-or-die activity. Give yourself a break and recharge your batteries so when you’re ready to run again, it’s fun. 🙂
Have a great weekend, folks. Next week I’ll be joined by a couple guest bloggers, and peppering a post or two of my own. Two days of the week I’ll be spending with my son doing pre-kindergarten activities (not the same as pre-k), and Thursday is moving day! And then Sunday is the Rock Hall Half Marathon! Am I ready? It’s anybody’s guess. Squeeeee! It’s going to be one wild ride, that’s for sure. Here we go…!!!
Wishing all of those racing and training, swift and happy feet! See you soon!